Check out my Interview with SD Voyager Magazine (Nov 8, 2017) They asked some great questions and I probably gave them way too many of my secrets.
On Aug 31, 2013, I retired from a 26 year long career. Today I am proud to say that I have merged my engineering and project management experience with my passion for health and fitness to find unique ways to enlighten, inspire and empower others to lead healthy, productive lives.
I absolutely love to learn about the body, how to exercise, how to deal with pains, how to eat better, how to tap into your internal energy and connect with your higher power.
Like many, I have struggled with my weight for most of my adult life. If you’re seeing me today, you might be rolling your eyes because thankfully I am finally at my ideal weight and thankfully I can physically do more than most 55 year old women I know. I’m very thankful but know that all of this success is simply because I’ve WORKED MY ASS OFF TO EARN IT.
I have tried every diet known to man. I did the low fat diet, counted calories, fasted, detoxed, cut out sugar, gave up wine… I got fanatical with exercise, even decided to train for and run a marathon to keep the weight off. Yup, I did it all and still struggled with my weight until I finally decided I was going to BE HEALTHY ENOUGH.
Being “healthy enough” started out with saying, “Eat right 80% of the time. Move everyday. It’s OK to splurge every once in awhile.” However, after working with an ever growing number of clients I’ve learned that it’s about so much more than just that.
It’s about taking it slower, finding what works for you, not getting on the diet and exercise craze that someone else is doing, but instead experimenting with different ways of eating and exercising that allow you to FEEL GOOD. Things that allow you to DO WHAT YOU LOVE to do and most importantly allow you to go through life WITHOUT PAIN.
You don’t need to have shredded arms and abs, eat nothing but kale salads and beets or be ready to run a marathon at a moment’s notice; you simply have to Be Healthy Enough!
– Amy Van Liew
Amy Van Liew
I have studied with the world’s top health and wellness experts including:
- Joshua Rosenthal, founder and director of the Institute for Integrative Nutrition
- Dr. Andrew Weil, director of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine
- Deepak Chopra, MD, leader in the field of mind-body medicine
- Dr. David Katz, MD, MPH, director of Yale University’s Prevention Research Center
- Dr. Walter Willett, MD, DrPH, chair of nutrition at Harvard University
- Dr. Andrew Weil, MD, director of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine
- Gabrielle Bernstein, bestselling author and life coach
- Susan Blum, MD, MPH, assistant clinical professor at Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Mark Hyman, MD, founder of The UltraWellness Center
- Geneen Roth, bestselling author and expert on emotional eating
- David Wolfe, raw food leader and nutrition expert
- Marion Nestle, PhD, MPH, professor at New York University’s Department of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health
- Mark Bittman, food writer for the New York Times and bestselling author
- Joel Fuhrman, MD, family physician and leading expert on nutritional healing
Amy’s Education and Certifications
- Corrective Exercise Specialist, The BioMechanics Method
- Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, Institute of Integrative Nutrition
- Board Certified with the American Association of Drugless Practioners
- Personal Trainer, Aerobics and Fitness Association of America
- Group Fitness Instructor, Aerobics and Fitness Association of America
- Practical Pilates, Aerobics and Fitness Association of America
- Mid life Fitness for Women, Aerobics and Fitness Association of America
- Golden Hearts Fitness for Seniors, Aerobics and Fitness Association of America
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, California State University, Fullerton
- Project Management Professional Certification (PMP), Project Management Institute
- Extensive training in quality systems, process control, problem solving and management excellence